Saturday, May 3, 2014

Story Structure Maps

Last Friday on our staff development day, teachers spent the morning working on literacy.  One of the things we learned about was story structure maps.  We actually had to read a couple of new classroom books and make our own story maps.  Since this was something new to me, I decided that getting a little extra practice would be good.  I enlisted my kindergarten students to help me learn to get better at this.

We read two different versions of the classic folktale The Little Red Hen.  The first version, titled The Little Red Hen was a more traditional version of the story.  The second version was titled The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza).  

   

While we read each story, the students took some time to discuss their thinking.  They  have such great ideas to share!

   

On the story maps you will see below, I did the writing but the kids came up with the responses.  I think we did a pretty good job, considering this was our first attempt.  We will definitely do more in the next few days and weeks.








No comments:

Post a Comment